K-1 Visa (Fiancé) Customized Legal Solutions For Your Case

Cleveland K-1 Visa (Fiancé) Lawyer

Cleveland Immigration Lawyers

If you are a U.S. citizen engaged to someone who lives in a foreign country, you can use the K-1 visa (also known as the fiancé visa) to bring them to the United States. Once a K-1 visa is permitted, you and your fiancé have 90 days to get married. Your fiancé can then apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident (LPR) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If you require a K-1 visa for your fiancé, don't hesitate to contact our Cleveland immigration attorneys at Sintsirmas & Mueller Co. L.P.A. We have over 50 years of collective experience in solving immigration matters such as: student visas, green cards, naturalization and citizenship and deportation.

What Are the Basic Requirements?

Before marriage can happen, you and your fiancé must meet the following requirements:

  • You are a U.S. citizen
  • You met your fiancé in person within the last 2 years
  • You and your fiancé are legally free to marry (single, divorced, etc.)
  • You intend to get married within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival to the U.S.
  • You meet certain financial requirements

K-1 Visa Process

Once you’ve established that you and your fiancé are eligible for the K-1 visa, the process to getting the visa granted is pretty straightforward.

These are the main steps in the K-1 process:

  1. You (a U.S. citizen) must file Form I-129F to petition the USCIS to recognize a foreign citizen as your fiancé.
  2. If the USCIS approves your petition, the National Visa Center (NVC) will give you a case number and send the petition to the U.S. Embassy in the country where your fiancé lives.
  3. The NVC will mail you a letter when it sends the U.S. Embassy your fiancé’s case. Notify your fiancé to collect the required documentation (listed below) and to prepare for the interview. If your fiancé has children, they may apply for K-2 visas.
  4. Your fiancé will fill out paperwork and take a medical exam.
  5. If the paperwork and medical exam are cleared, your fiancé will be granted an interview, after which their visa will either be accepted or denied.

Required Documentation

Your fiancé will be required to bring in the following forms and documents to the visa interview:

  • A completed Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, along with a printed confirmation page
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States for at least 6 months beyond their intended stay
  • Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s) for both you and your fiancé
  • A copy of their criminal record from their current country of residence and anywhere else they have lived for more than 6 months since the age of 16
  • Medical examination records from a doctor’s visit that they must set up before the interview
  • Evidence of your relationship, which can be in the form of photographs and documents
  • Payment of fees for the petition, application and medical examination
  • Evidence of financial support that shows you are able to support your fiancé or they are able to support themselves
  • Two 2x2 photographs

How Long Does the Process Take?

Overall, the entire process takes anywhere from 5 to 8 months, although this is a general estimate. The exact time can be affected by incomplete paperwork, errors, and where your fiancé lives. Our Ohio immigration lawyers can help by ensuring all paperwork is complete and error-free and submitting the paperwork on time, thus expediting the process.

Contact Sintsirmas & Mueller Co. L.P.A. Today!

Our team of Cleveland immigration attorneys has the knowledge and experience to assist you with the K-1 visa, as well as the H2A, H1A, H1B, J visas, F visas and investor visas. We serve clients throughout Northeast Ohio with exceptional representation and strategic advice to help you get the outcome you want and deserve.

Call Sintsirmas & Mueller Co. L.P.A. at (888) 491-8770 or contact us online !


  • “Very thankful for all the help I had throughout the whole immigration process, I cannot thank S&M enough for all the help and guidance. My family and I are finally worry free and glad to have such professionals besides us.”

    - Jun M.
  • “Best law firm I could have asked for to help with my case. Having a toddler and a baby on the way my husband was not on the best status to work and they helped us more than we could have imagined.”

    - Jazmin K.
  • “I had the pleasure of working with Sintsirmas and Mueller to process my green card application. They were amazing and incredibly helpful. The whole process was transparent, easy, and successful.”

    - Nonye A.
  • “Professional and helpful are the words that come to mind when I think of Sintsirmas & Mueller. When I was faced with a really sensitive personal case I was able to count on them to give me sound legal advice and always look out for my best interest.”

    - Ryan F.
  • “Caroline was kind and very professional. All my questions were answered and everyone at the firm were helpful and sincere. Everything was promptly done and my naturalization came much sooner than I thought.”

    - Lytle N.

Seize Your American Dream

Contact Us for a Free Consultation Today!
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.