What Is a K-1 Visa?

A K-1 Visa, also called a fiancé visa, allows you to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. You don’t have to intend to stay in the country permanently to be eligible for this kind of visa. Eligibility requires that you:

  • Intend to marry a U.S. citizen.
  • Have met your fiancé in person in the last two years
  • Are legally able to marry

The second requirement can be waived based on cultural customs or extreme hardship.

IMBRA Requirement

According to the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA), petitioners must disclose if they met their fiancé through a marriage broker. Additionally, they have to show the signed, written consent form that authorizes the release of their personal contact information.

Certain criminal convictions can also disqualify you from obtaining a K-1 Visa under IMBRA regulations. If you are applying for a fiancé visa, you have to disclose incidents like:

  • Domestic Violence
  • Sexual Assault
  • Child Abuse & Neglect
  • Dating Violence
  • Elder Abuse
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Homicide, Murder, & Manslaughter
  • Rape, Sexual Abuse, Sexual Exploitation, & Incest
  • Trafficking, Peonage, & Involuntary Servitude
  • Slave Trading, Kidnapping, Abduction, Unlawful Criminal Restraint, & False Imprisonment

At Sintsirmas & Mueller, we strive to help our clients achieve their American Dream. Regardless of the specific circumstances surrounding your case, you can be confident in our ability to advocate for your legal rights. Our lawyers will break down your case and perform extensive research to help you make informed decisions every step of the way.

Do you have more questions about obtaining a K-1 Visa for you or your fiancé? We can help you. Contact our Cleveland team of K-1 Visa lawyers to get started on your case today.