I Married a U.S. Citizen, Where Is My Green Card?

People tend to think that marrying a U.S. citizen gives you instant access to a green card. However, for many individuals, the path to becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident is much longer and far more complicated. If you’ve married a U.S citizen and are wondering what to do next, don’t worry, you’re not alone. In this blog, we explain what you need to do to become a citizen of the United States of America.

Adjustment of Status

After your marriage, you’ll need to get started on paperwork for an Adjustment of Status to Lawful Permanent Resident. Completing this process will get you on your way to obtaining a green card. The citizen spouse will act as a petitioner on behalf of the other spouse. When a U.S. citizens exercises their right to marry a foreign spouse, they will need to:

  • Submit recent biographic information in order to confirm a formal background check on Form G-325A.
  • Submit valid birth and marriage certificates, financial information, and passport photos at the time of their interview

These documents are needed to prove that your marriage is in good faith and not based on fraudulent intent. Both the petitioner and beneficiary will be interviewed during this process.

Get Legal Assistance Today

If you are married to a U.S. citizen but previously entered the country unlawfully, or committed any previous crimes, you should immediately consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Your green card application can be impacted by criminal convictions.

At Sintsirmas & Mueller Co. L.P.A., we provide strong, experienced legal service throughout your case. From attending interviews to preparing documents, we treat your case with utmost importance.

Contact our team of Cleveland immigration attorneys, or call (888) 491-8770 to get started on your case today.