Filing for Permanent Residency as a Refugee

Individuals who are refugees or have held asylum status for a minimum of one year may be eligible to apply for lawful permanent residency, or a green card, by filing a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To be eligible, you must have been physically present in the US as an asylee or refugee for at least one year.

Along with your Form 1-485, you will need to provide the following:

  • Fee for Fringeprints (if age 14 or older)
  • An 1-485 fee for filing
  • Form G-28, if needed, must be signed by an attorney or representative and you
  • Form I-485, signed, with Box “d” of Part 2 marked.
  • Two appropriately sized photos with A-number written and your name on the back, in an envelope stapled to the lower left corner
  • Form G-325, signed
  • Evidence of asylee status, such as a copy of your Form I-94 and a clear copy of the letter granting asylum
  • Form I-602, Application by Refugee for Waiver on Grounds of Excludability, if applicable
  • Evidence of presence in the United States for at least one year, such as a letter of employment, a lease, school enrollment records, etc.
  • Proof of any periods of absence from the US since being granted asylum status
  • A birth certificate or other birth record
  • Records of any name changes since being granted asylum
  • Form I-693, Medical with Vaccination Supplement

I Have the Needed Documents – How Do I File?

You will need to prepare a separate I-485 packet for each applicant, including any spouse or children who derived asylee or refugee status from you, the principal. These packets should be assembled in the same order as listed above, with a single staple or strong paper clip to hold everything together. While several application packages may be submitted in the same mailing, they should be properly labeled. Likewise, any documents written in a foreign language must include a certified English translation.

All asylum and refugee adjustment applications should be mailed to the Nebraska Service Center, as well as any concurrently filed Form I-131 or Form I-765 forms. If you receive a notification that your Form I-485 has been transferred to a local USCIS office, however, any subsequent forms should also be sent to the same office.

Get Sintsirmas & Mueller Co. L.P.A. on Your Side

Like any immigration-related matter, seeking permanent residence as a refugee or asylee can be an incredibly complex endeavor and can expose you to numerous pitfalls without the assistance of a knowledgeable attorney. At Sintsirmas & Mueller Co. L.P.A., our Cleveland immigration lawyers understand the ins and outs of the American immigration system and can provide the powerful support you need to maximize your chances of success.

Dial (888) 491-8770 or schedule a case evaluation online today to discover your legal options.